Janell is a Senior Associate at WFJ. She focuses her practice on management-side employment law, employment litigation, and corporate law.
Janell devotes much of her practice to counseling management on strategies, methods, and policies designed to maintain compliance with federal, state, and local laws and minimize risk and exposure to potential litigation. She works to keep her clients informed of recent developments in the law and advises her clients on areas such as hiring, background checks including FCRA and “ban the box” compliance, ADA and reasonable accommodations, federal, state and local leave laws including FMLA and the litany of state and local paid sick leave laws, employee discipline and termination, and wage and hour issues. She also drafts and advises on employee handbooks, separation agreements, noncompete and other employment contracts.
She is also a frequent speaker and writer on topics relating to HR and employment law and has spoken to organizations throughout the United States, in-person and virtually. She also aims to be a thought leader in her practice by contributing to books, publications, podcasts, social media accounts, blogs and SHRM articles.
When not practicing law, Janell enjoys all things outdoors including hiking, backpacking, and camping. She also enjoys traveling with her family.
- Minnesota State Bar Association
- Hennepin County Bar Association
- Minnesota Women Lawyers
- Minnesota, 2012
- U.S. District Court, District of Minnesota 2012
- University of Minnesota, 2007
- University of South Dakota School of Law, 2012
- Congress Passes Law Invalidating Forced Arbitration Agreements for Sexual Assault/Harassment Claims-Hennepin County Bar Association
- Contributing writer :Disability and Religious Accommodations in the Remote or Hybrid Work Context" for A Practical Guide to Remote and Hybrid Workplaces